News Americas, NEW YORK, NY, Fri. Jan. 12, 2018: Two of the Caribbean’s emerging star athletes have made it to the elite 2018 Bowerman Men’s Preseason Watch list.
The Bowerman is an annual track and field award that is the highest accolade given to the year’s best student-athlete in American collegiate track and field. It is named after Oregon track and field and cross-country coach Bill Bowerman.
Jamaicans Nathon Allen and Kemar Mowatt, two of Jamaica’s emerging star athletes, have been named to the list announced Wednesday by the United States Track & Field Cross Country Coaches Association, (USTFCCCA).
It is a first that two Jamaicans have been on the list at the same time.
Allen, who ran a personal best 44.19 to advance to the final of the 400 metres at the IAAF World Championships in London last August, was the silver medalist at last season’s NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships.
Mowatt was the bronze medalist in the 400m hurdles at the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships last season. His 48.64 was the fastest time going into the final.
Can You Guess Why Usain Bolt Is Nervous?
Bolt’s nervous admission comes weeks ahead of his trial date with Borussia Dortmund, the same club as speedster Pierre Aubumeyang.
Bolt is set to go to Dortmund in March for a trial.
“It makes me nervous. I don’t get nervous but this is different, this is football now. It’ll take time to adjust but once I play a few times I’ll get used to it,” said Bolt.
Bolt also admitted that the reason he is nervous has to do with, not impressing Dortmund, but impressing himself. “If they [Dortmund] say I’m good, and that I need a bit of training, I’ll do it,” said Bolt.
BVB, or simply Dortmund, is a German sports club based in Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia and is part of a large membership-based sports club with more than 145,000 members, making BVB the second largest sports club by membership in Germany. Dortmund plays in the Bundesliga, the top tier of the German football league system and is one of the most successful clubs in German football history.
Major Clubs Could Tussle Over This Jamaican
Jamaican-born, Bayer Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey, will reportedly be the subject of a three-way transfer tussle between giants Premier League giants Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal in the summer transfer window.
According to Adrian Kajumba in the Mirror, the three clubs have all watched the 20-year-old this season and while Leverkusen are determined to hold on to their £40 million-rated star in the current transfer window, they are prepared for summer advances from the Premier League trio.
Bailey joined Leverkusen from Belgian outfit Genk last January but only played 133 minutes in the German top flight in 2016-17, scoring no goals and providing no assists. In 2017-18, though, he has made 14 appearances in the league and contributed six goals and four assists.
Caribbean Soccer Executive Denies Knowledge Of FIFA Ban
President of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines Football Federation, (SVGFF), Venold Coombs, has denied being banned from the football administration for two years by the sport’s world governing body, FIFA.
“I don’t know what you are talking about,” he told CMC Sports last week.
Coombs further offered to answer any other questions in a face-to-face interview and said he would be available anytime the next day. However, the next day, Coombs said, via an agent, that he was unwell and would be unable to attend the interview.
The agent said Coombs had come down with a sore throat.
Coombs’ denial comes amidst widespread reports from sources familiar with football administration in SVG that FIFA had given him one month to appeal the alleged two-year ban.
A well-placed source said Coombs had confirmed last year that FIFA had asked him to show cause why he should not be banned for two years, over a matter relating to his administration’s handling of World Cup tickets.
A source familiar with FIFA’s disciplinary proceedings pointed out that if Coombs was facing a ban, FIFA would make it public only after appeals had been heard and dealt with.
CONCACAF President Sentencing Postponed Again
CONCACAF president, Jeffrey Webb’s sentencing has been postponed for a sixth time.
Webb was scheduled to face the courts on January 24th to hear his fate after pleading guilty to racketeering charges three years ago.
While Webb’s lawyers have been the ones successfully pushing back dates, this time around, the court’s calendar changed so sentencing will not take place until March 7.
The former FIFA Vice President is believed to be one of the main players in years of fraud committed in the name of football’s governing body over the course of years.
Webb pleaded guilty to seven counts of fraud and racketeering, while FIFA’s Ethics Committee added a number of other charges, for which they have banned him for life.
Hector Trujillo, a former Guatemalan judge was sentenced to eight months behind bars. Austin Jack Warner, another former CONCACAF president, is still in Trinidad and Tobago fighting extradition to the United States.